|Number of position||:||01|
|Duration of the contract||:||May 2021 (Possibility to extend)|
|Based in||:||Cox’s Bazar|
|Reporting to||:||IDB-Project Management Coordinator|
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 192-member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Working under the supervision of the IDB Project Management Coordinator, and in consultation with Head of office /operations is responsible to lead and ensure effective implementation of Health care infrastructure construction activities within the agreed time frame of IDB project. The incumbent will be fully responsible for compliance with policies and procedures, the quality of the construction, construction, management and reporting, resulting in the highest possible performance. This role will coordinate with IFRC Dhaka office and National Societies as per needs and requirement as well provide support to Health care infrastructure/construction projects and under the Emergency Appeal as needed.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Job Duties and Responsibilities for IDB supported construction project
The Construction Manager’s purpose is to plan, schedule and coordinate all phases of a construction project, including cost accounting and billing procedures and liaising with architects, subcontractors, suppliers, etc. The position holder will develop the project schedule in critical path steps and budget time required to meet deadlines. He/She will inspect and review projects construction in progress to enforce compliance with plans, specifications, building and safety codes.
The job shall involve scheduling and directing all contractors and vendors through all activities to full completion of the health care infrastructure project. The person also will provide support for shelter and settlement Emergency Appeal shelter construction related work for camp and host communities in terms of providing technical support to BDRCS/IFRC shelter team for planning, designing and monitoring of shelter construction activities of Phase -3 response of host community shelter, Transitional shelter Assistance and Mid term Shelter construction Programme.
Key Responsibilities related to IDB project: Health care infrastructure construction Programme
- To plan, develop and organize the construction effort to formulate the most cost-effective plan to timely completion within budget and to implement the execution of that plan and responsible for implementation of the scope of work as related to construction/ fabrication, pre-commissioning, load-out and offshore installation hook-up and offshore pre-commissioning and commissioning of the facilities in conformance with project specifications, Scope of Work, and in accordance with the approved Project Schedule.
- Manage and oversee the day-to-day construction management of the project and related feasibility studies (directly/indirectly) and assess structural stability of design.
- Oversee the scheduling and coordination of subcontracts, undertake detailed review of plans to schedule, tendering process and liaison with all parties (legal, finance, audit, other technical areas).
- Ensure the contractor delivers the construction projects on-time, within the budget and with the expected quality as per design and checking quality of workmanship, use of proper construction techniques and ensure building materials procurement meet the quality (usage of external lab. and/or third parties for quality control if need it be) and quantities as per Bill of Quantities (BOQ)
- Carry out regular inspections in close collaboration with concerned internal and external staff/ department to ensure that the contractor is adhering to the construction program timing, quality standards and that contractor progress certificates are verified against construction milestones
- Prepare internal and external reports pertaining to construction status/progress
- Keeping a good level of coordination with other movement partners with regards to compliance and construction standards.
Project implementation- Main responsibilities
- Oversee the scheduling and coordination of subcontracts, undertake detailed review of plans to schedule deliverables and estimate costs ensuring works schedules are adhered to and performance guarantees are in place.
- Oversee project cost and accounting, negotiate terms of agreements, review draft contracts and ensure that correct permits and licenses are obtained with support of Logistics
- Negotiate terms of agreements, draft contracts and ensure that correct permits and licenses and permission are obtained from concerned government authorities.
- Check quality of materials; oversee selection of tools and equipment and track inventories
- Verify that advanced contract payments have been correctly utilized for procurement of up-front materials
- Take responsibility for compliance with required Health and Safety and Environmental standards
- Plan to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones
- Analyze, manage and mitigate risks
- Follow up on sub-contractor billings/payment system (intermediate certificates and final certificate).
- Supervise staff as per requirements
- Manage all project costs within budgetary expectations and to ensure compliance.
- Any other ad-hoc projects and duties as required by the management.
Key responsibilities- Emergency Appeal shelter construction project:- Technical support to the operation:
- Support BDRCS/IFRC team in the planning and implementation of activities to ensure effective implementation of shelter hardware/software activities for the displaced population and the host communities for Phase-3 Shelter interventions under Transitional Shelter assistance, Mid-term Shelter construction and Host communities shelters.
- Conduct technical monitoring progress activities to adapt/refine shelter activities for the targeted groups and prepare technical monitoring report.
- Support and Develop simple and eco-friendly construction measures and key messages according to technical assessment findings to improve the construction quality for TSA, MTS and Host communities shelters.
- Co-design and facilitate with BDRCS/IFRC Shelter Officer for carpenter/Majis, skilled/unskilled labors construction, operation & maintenance training based on PASSA approach for Camp communities.
- Support the realization of practical trainings at community level based on the construction of demonstration improved shelter through Transitional Shelter Assistance and for construction of Mid-term Shelter as per approved design and BoQ.
- Participate to the production of adequate IEC material to be used to facilitate the trainings/ awareness sessions and be shared with the participants as pedagogical training supports (banners, manual and leaflets).
- Work closely with the other RC/RC sectors for an integrated and comprehensive approach.
- Participate to the production of monitoring progress report to enable permanent information and consultation to BDRCS, IFRC, Sectorial coordination working groups.
- Other tasks as may be assigned by Immediate Supervisor’s.
- Bachelor’s (Master’s preferable) University degree in Civil Engineering/water resource engineering/ Environment or relevant discipline with at least 5 years working experience on mid- to large-sized commercial or civil health care construction projects.
- Experience in one or more of the following types of construction: health center, infrastructure/building design, warehouse facilities.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for project monitoring, particularly for cost, quality and schedule, standard specifications/code in construction in Bangladesh
- Knowledge of building materials, methods, processes, procedures and equipment involved in the construction of buildings and related site work, including in-depth Knowledge of tendering process and bid selection.
- Mature and able to lead and motivate a large and diverse team in complex humanitarian environments
- Experience working with Red Cross/Red Crescent National Societies.
- Experience with PASSA approaches
- Experience in camp site management and refugee emergencies
- Experience setting up and managing tools for data collection
- Proven experience in planning targeted and appropriate behaviour change communication strategies.
- Experience setting up and managing accountability to communities’ systems. For example, feedback and complaints mechanisms, rumour tracking systems, or participatory planning processes.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good planning skills, with the ability to identify areas for improvements in operations through the integration of CEA approaches and activities.
- Team player, with the ability to coordinate and engage others and build good working relationships with internal and external partners..
- Highly motivated proactive self-starter, able to set and achieve goals using own initiative.
- Strong written, presentation, facilitation and training skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work under stressful conditions to meet deadlines
- Willing to travel extensively to support field operations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills.
- Self-supporting in computers including design and project management/scheduling softwares
- Acquainted with International Federation policies, procedures and systems – Preferred
- Good knowledge of Red Cross / Red Crescent disaster management cycle, including planning and response processes and procedures.
- Good knowledge of gender and diversity issues in emergency response operations
Languages:Fluency in English and Bangla.
- Festival Bonus
- Life & Medical Insurance
- Provident fund & Gratuity
- Transport allowance.
- Medical reimbursement for staff and immediate family of up to 70000 BDT per annum.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to apply through online by 01st November 2020.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation. The IFRC Country Office in Bangladesh has worked alongside the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) for more than 30 years in humanitarian fields including disaster management, with a focus on the cyclone early warning and response programme in the coastal belt, and disaster preparedness and response during natural disasters.